This is a joint project by IBM, the Government of Armenia, Enterprise Incubator Foundation and USAID. The Government of Armenia, IBM and USAID are acting as resource partners and EIF is acting as an implementation partner. The main goal of the Center is to develop and strengthen the educational capabilities of Armenian higher educational institutions in IT/High-Tech, to enhance their research potential in educational context, as well as creating a favorable environment for formation of sustainable businesses.
The objective of a Centre of Excellence is to address the following key challenges:
- Modernizing IT curricula at major Armenian Universities,
- Modernizing laboratory equipment at the Yerevan State University,
- Upgrade the faculty qualification,
- Increase the number of qualified IT/High-Tech workforce in Armenia,
- Transfer Armenia into a regional IT/High-Tech centre of excellence
The ISTC will be located at the Yerevan State University. However, all the resources, including the Academic Initiative courses, access to virtual libraries, software and hardware of the Center and the assistance of the Center’s staff and the experts of IBM will be available for the faculty members and students of all Armenian Universities and the private sector.
The center will implement the following activities:
- Enhancement of IT Education and R&D, which includes upgrade of curricula at major Armenian higher educational institutions through the Academic Initiative program, collaboration between local and US top technology Universities and R&D promotion and commercialization.
- Business Aggregator, which incorporates supporting technical and managerial workforce to form viable teams by providing mentorship and access to financing, development and provision of customized software solutions for SMEs and promotion of local technology products in global markets.
IBM is the main resource partner of the center providing latest hardware and software and wide range of solutions to support Armenia’s Entrepreneur Ecosystem. IBM delivers next generation solutions, such as IBM Bluemix, which was used to deploy this webpage—designed to propel radical ideas on how we live, work and innovate. More than a century of making a world a smarter place.
Since 1992, USAID has provided a broad range of development programs in Armenia, shifting from an initial humanitarian emphasis to assistance for economic, political and social transition. In 2005-2014, USAID transitioned from direct assistance to longer-term development initiatives aimed at increasing Armenia’s economic competitiveness, strengthening good governance, and ensuring higher quality and more accessible social and health services.
IT and High-tech sectors were declared as priority sectors for economic development by President of RA. The Government of the Republic of Armenia has been faithful to the adopted policy for many years and has supported projects aimed for development and promotion of the sector.
Enterprise Incubator Foundation (EIF) is one of the largest technology business incubators and consulting companies in the region, operating in Yerevan, Armenia. Established in 2002 within the framework of the World Bank’s “Enterprise Incubator” project. EIF is called to support the development of information and communication technology sector in Armenia through creating a productive environment for innovation, technological advancement and company growth.