Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 Results
November 11, 2016
ISTC’s Grand Opening Goes with a Bang: Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 Inspires New IT Solutions by Startups
Yerevan, Armenia – As part of its grand opening event on November 10, the Innovative Solutions and Technologies Center (ISTC) held the Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16, challenging youth teams to develop IT solutions in three areas: finance, healthcare, and telecommunications. The two-day competition served as a great platform for Armenian startups and software developers to learn about IBM’s BlueMix and Watson services, create innovative solutions, or enhance their existing applications using IBM technology.
In the run up to the Hackathon, ISTC held a series of workshops for the participating teams about IBM BlueMix cloud services as well as discussed Armenia’s current challenges in the three target sectors of the competition. During the event, IBM experts also shared expertise on creating services through Bluemix Deep Dive workshop sessions.
13 teams, with two to four members each, competed in the Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 on November 10 and 11. The teams’ pitches stood out with their thoughtfulness, fresh thinking around complex issues, and creativity. Ideas spanned from creating chatbots for fitness to solution for children with autism spectrum disorder.
Based on the scores of the expert jury, which included representatives of Rostelecom, Ingo Armenia Insurance, Ardshinbank, IBM and Granatus Ventures, the winning teams received awards in the following five categories:
- Best Solution in Telecommunications – presented to “Triple-E team” with a cash award of $1,000 (sponsored by Rostelecom);
- Best Solution in Finance – presented to “Finely team” with a cash award of $1,000 (sponsored by Ardshinbank);
- Best Solution in Healthcare – presented to “Yamaka team” with a cash award of $1,000 (jointly sponsored by Ingo Armenia Insurance and the Enterprise Incubator Foundation);
- Special prize for the most innovative solution with IBM Bluemix – presented to “ArmSol team” with a cash award of $500 (sponsored by ISTC); and
- Special prize for the best application of IBM Watson and Bluemix – “Worst ever” and “ArmSol” teams will be nominated for IBM Global Entrepreneur Program – within this program, they are eligible for IBM Cloud usage credits up to the equivalent of 120,000$.
The Innovative Solutions and Technologies Center (ISTC) is a joint project of IBM, USAID, Yerevan State University, the Government of Armenia, and the Enterprise Incubator Foundation. ISTC was designed to meet the demand of Armenia’s booming IT and Hi-Tech industry in quality specialists through developing the IT curriculum in Armenian universities via the IBM Academic Initiative, creating a favorable environment for emerging businesses in the IT and hi-tech industry, and promoting the application of IT solutions in other sectors to stimulate Armenia’s broader economic development.
The ISTC is located on the campus of Yerevan State University, occupying 1,000 square meters of state-of-the-art facilities, fully equipped with IBM’s latest technological base. The Center serves students and university faculty, providing them with hardware and software to conduct training and research. ISTC also supports promising startups, providing them with space and infrastructure, technical and business consulting, assistance in R&D, access to finance, and networking opportunities. To learn more about ISTC, please visit www.istc.am.