Smarter Armenia Hackathon ‘16
Building Innovative Solutions for a Smarter Armenia
DATE: 10.11.2016 – 11.11.2016
Within the scope of the ISTC Grand Opening on 10th of November 2016, we are planning to host the Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 which will be the first major event at the new premises of ISTC!
The Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 is aimed at creation of innovative solutions with a functional prototype in one of these sectors: Healthcare, Telecommunications and Finance. The teams are challenged to create solutions in corresponding fields using any technology that they want. Teams are encouraged to use IBM Bluemix platform and IBM Watson in order to obtain special prizes. In each category the problem statement will be finalized with the partners.
We will have IBM Bluemix Deep Dive session on 9th Nov 17:00-19:00 by IBM experts.
Teams are required to attend the mandatory Nov 10th Hackathon kickoff from 11:00 – 14:00.
On Nov 11th mandatory attendance will also be required for teams from 11:30am to the end of the award ceremony 6:00 pm.
REQUIRED: 5 MINUTE DEMO PRESENTATIONS OF THE APPLICATION FROM 15:00 – 17:00, 11th Nov.
See full agenda Smarter Armenia Hackathon ’16 Agenda.
Best Solution in Telecommunications: 1000$ sponsored by Rostelecom
Problem: The goal is to develop mobile application for Fitness which provides tips and tricks from professional coaches, create extra motivation and help to get in shape. User should be able to choose the type, the level and duration of the video classes. The history and the dates of videos should be reflected, as well as the subscription to channels.
App should have intuitive navigation – get to courses with minimal number of clicks. Youtube is the preferred source for video classes. In case other sources are used, additional required information should be provided to the Operator such as URL addresses of servers and IP address range. Demonstration shall be presented on Android tablet.
Best Solution in Finance: 1000$ sponsored by Ardshinbank
Problem: We are looking for financial solutions that are focused on banking solutions that provides better and easier access to mobile and general financial services, online payment solutions, wealth management solutions.
The usage of cognitive and blockchain technologies will be considered as an advantage.
Best Solution in Healthcare: 1000$ sponsored by INGO ARMENIA Insurance and EIF
Problem: The innovative Predictive, Preventive and Personalized Medicine (PPPM) is emerging as the focal point of efforts in healthcare aimed at curbing the prevalence of both communicable and non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, chronic respiratory diseases, cancer and dental pathologies. PPPM may overturn traditional models of health insurance, reimbursement, and regulation.
We need solution equally reflecting healthcare and insurance element which promotes the paradigm change from delayed interventional to predictive medicine tailored to the person, from reactive to preventive medicine and from disease to wellness and to ultimately improve the quality of lives.
Special prize for most innovative solution using IBM Bluemix: 500$ and 3 months of incubation at ISTC Accelerator
Special prize for best usage of IBM Watson and Bluemix: sponsored by IBM
For any other concerns please refer to the FAQ below or contact us.
Once registered via the google form, you will receive a confirmation e-mail, with appropriate instructions on how to obtain an IBM.com ID and sign up for the BlueMix Limited Preview program.
You will also be provided with support channels (email , chat) in case you have any trouble accessing the system. After you register and agree to the limited preview license, you will be given access to the BlueMix environment.
Am I obliged to use IBM BlueMix?
- No, but the solutions on IBM Bluemix will recieve extra points and you have to use IBM Bluemix in order to win special prizes by IBM and ISTC.
What is IBM BlueMix?
- BlueMix is an implementation of IBM’s Open Cloud Architecture, leveraging Cloud Foundry to enable developers to rapidly build, deploy, and manage their cloud applications, while tapping a growing ecosystem of available services and runtime frameworks. See more information here.
What are the hours of participation?
- Thursday Nov. 10th – Mandatory attendance at kickoff (11:00-14:00),pizza afterwards. You can stay and develop your application in the ISTC building or return home and develop your application there.(Food will be provided!) You are allowed to stay until 9:00 pm and put as much or as little time as you think is necessary to create a winning application.
- Friday Nov. 11th – Mandatory attendance 11:30 am until awards ceremony ends around 5:00 pm. (Lunch will be provided.) You will need to present your demo for 10 to 15 minutes between 3:00pm – 5:00pm (Snacks will be provided.)
- You can start programming immediately when you retrieve access to your BlueMix account prior to Nov 10. In fact, it is to your advantage to start using the BlueMix environment as soon as you are provided access.
How do I register? How can I find others to be on my team?
- You may sign up on the following form Google Doc Team Sign Up Sheet
- You may also find other coders to form a team with on our facebook page . Just make a post asking if other people would like to join your team or reply to someone else post asking if they would like to join up with your team.
What are the prizes?
- Cash prizes for 3 winners of the categories, and two special prizes!
How many members can be on my programming team?
- 2 to 4 participants.
What happens after I sign up?
- You will be sent an email with instruction to obtain an IBM.com ID and sign up for the BlueMix Limited Preview program. You will also be provided with support channels (email, chat) in case you have any trouble accessing the system. After you register and agree to the limited preview license, you will be given access to the BlueMix environment.
Can I start writing my application as soon as I receive BlueMix environment access?
- Yes, in fact it is to your advantage to start early. As soon as you get access, you should first try running sample applications. Sample applications are found within the BlueMix documentation and also available at https://github.com/ibmjstart.
Is there anything I can do prior to BliueMix access to help me prepare for the hackathon?
- IBM BlueMix is based on CloudFoundry. You can view tutorials access, you should first try running sample applications. Once you receive BlueMix environment access, there are several on the CloudFoundry web site. https://github.com/cloudfoundry-samples. Some sample applications are available at https://github.com/ibmjstart.
- Once you receive BlueMix environment access, there are several tutorials available within the BlueMix documentation that will help you get started.
What kind of application will I be writing for the hackathon?
- A theme for the application will be announced prior to the hackathon. Using the theme as your basis, you will need to come up with your own application idea. Your application will need to be a web or mobile based application with a GUI (graphical user interface) .
Can I participate using any programming language?
- BlueMix is polyglot environment so applications written in languages such as Java, Python, Ruby and Node.js are supported. Since BlueMix is based on Cloud Foundry, others languages can be used if an associated buildpack is available.
- See https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/cf-docs-contrib/wiki/Buildpacks for a list of supported buildpacks.
When will the winners be announced?
- After the demo presentations on Friday, the judges will confer for about 30 minutes and then present awards. It is expected that awards will be presented around 6:00pm on Friday Nov. 11th.
What is the scoring criteria?
- Teams will be asked to demo their web application and present work to judges in 5 minutes time periods.
- Application Functionality – sixty five percent (65% total).
- (25%) Application uniqueness and relevance to the theme of the hackathon and using cloud computing framework and services, ”Wow” factor and originality. (Was app just ported from somewhere else with little changes?)
- (15%) Usage of Cloud Computing environment APIs (Are BlueMix services used?)
- (25%) Completeness of solution: a functional, demo-ready application or service. Does application work? If not, a visual mock-up of a user interface of the proposed application can be provided but fewer points will be awarded.
- Oral Presentation and Demo – thirty five percent(35% total).
- No charts required! (but you can use charts if you want.)
- You will be judged by they way you clearly describe your application’s function, how you demonstrate the various attributes of the application such as the BlueMix services used, how you describe external APIs/data sources used, how you discuss problems you encountered and how you overcame those problems.
- Note: At the judges’ discretion, 5 bonus points can be given for an exceptional oral presentation.