Arizona State University
BIO5 is one of ASU’s research centers. It conducts research in the areas of engineering, science, pharmacy, agriculture and medicine.
Within those areas BIO5 has a research program called ‚Bioinformatics‘.
Bioinformatics develops (amongst others) multidisciplinary approaches to data collection, data analysis and new technologies for sharing data and information. Besides, BIO5 is continuously enhancing its informatic research area by recruiting new specialists and building new IT-laboratories.
The Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship focuses on expanding the practice of Entrepreneurship through global collaborative research initiatives.
The Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference is an event where academics present their publications and papers all referring to Entrepreneurship.
Babson Research Centers are rather practise-oriented and involve students then concentrating on pure scientific research. Also there were no particular IT or IT-related research programs, as the college is concentrated on Entrepreneurship.
Boston University’s Metropolitan College
The Boston University owns an extensive Research department. One of its research areas is called „Data Science“ and focuses on the foundational and technological underpinnings of data science and its applications. Besides, BU also has an „Economics and Business“ and an „Engineering“ research area.
Also, BU offers funding opportunities for researchers in every discipline.
Case Western Reserve University
The Case Western Reserve University does data science based research in the following areas:
- Computation Imaging and Personalized Diagnostics
- Biomedical Informatics
- Computational Biology
- Solar Durability and Lifetime Extension
- Proteomics and Bioinformatics
The Research program of the CWRU is largely involving students and therefore rather part of an interactive learning program than pure science.
Dakota State University
In terms of IT, DSU has a wide research area, concentrating on IT security, health informatics and data analytics.
Illinois Institute of Technology
The IIT has a broad range of research centers and institutes.
A lot of them concentrate on biomedical, environment and health questions.
One of the research centers is called „Strategic Competitiveness“ and develops global partnerships to enhance innovation and creativity . The center aims to develop Strategic Competitiveness into an approach to business that will enhance the ability of individuals, organizations and the government to be proactive and innovative in addressing global market challenges.
Illinois Institute of Technology
Broad range of research areas and a detailed list of actual research topics, referring to data science.
Example Research Areas:
- Distributed Systems, Cloud, High-End Computing
- Big Data and Data Analytics
- Accelerator Research
- Creation of a small 3D object that summarizes , remembers, communicates and analyses meetings and conversations
- Identifying author ideology from textual analysis
Indiana University Kelly School of Business
Very broad range of research topics, various research centers:
- CACR (Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research) does research in cyber security including the areas of criminal justice, law, public policy, organizational behaviour etc. Has had a number of successes over the past year, amongst others winning the ISE North America Project for the department of Homeland Security Software Assurance Marketplace Project.
- CNetS (Center for complex Networks and Systems Research) work on problems including the development of adaptive, distributed, collaborative, agent-based applications for web search and recommendation, the development of models for the spread of information and misinformation as well as studying human social (online). behaviour
Iowa State University
RISE (Research Institute for Studies in Education) conducts comprehensive and integrated research and evaluation studies to enhance education nationally and globally. It has developed programs to evaluate the effectiveness of teacher preparation and professional development, as well as programs for the improvement of teacher effectiveness. One of RISE’s actual research projects is „The Global Perspective Inventory“ which is a web-based assessment of how students think, view themselves as people and how they relate to others.
- The CTLT (Center for Technology in Learning and Teaching) provides leadership in the use of IT in teacher education.
- CELT (Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching) is dedicated to supporting instructors and students by creating programs to help improve teaching and learning.
Johns Hopkins University’s DC based Center for Advanced Governmental Studies
Has various Research Areas, such as:
- International Studies
- Arts and Sciences
- Public Health
Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism
Huge Variety of Research Centers, amongst which is:
- NIMSI (Northwestern Initiative for Manufacturing Science and Innovation) which undertakes multidisciplinary research and education initiatives associated with manufacturing across the broad spectrum that impact both mass production manufacturing and emerging hyper-customized and personalized manufacturing.This platform integrates discoveries from basic sciences, technological and business innovation and human factors. In this area NWU is focusing on its strengths including computational tools, human-machine interface, nanotechnologies etc.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Lally School of Management
Research Centers are:
- Environment, Energy and Smart Systems
- Biotechnology and the Life Sciences
- Media, Arts, Science and Technology
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials
Computational Science and Engineering:
- Center of Computational Innovations
- High Performance Computing
- AMOS Supercomputer
- Data Preservation
- Center for Inverse Problems
- Dynamic Elastography
- Electrical Impedance Tomography
- Geophysical Fault Identification
- Geotechnical Identification
- Radar Imaging
- Quasi Static Elastography
- Data Science Research Center
- Computer Vision, Robotics, Machine and Computational Learning
- Computational Science and Engineering, Algorithms and Theory
- Computer Graphics, Visualization, Computational Geometry
- Data Mining, Algorithms for Massive Data Sets
- Pervasive Computing and Networking
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Database Systems
- Network Science and Technology Center
- Social/Cognitive Networks
- Implementation for robust TCP for Airborne Networks
- Metpet DB: A Database for Metamorphic Geochemistry
- Rensselaer Institute for Data Exploration and Application
- Data driven medical and healthcare Applications
- Business Analytics
- Built and Natural Environments/Smart Cities
- Agents in Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Cybersecurity and Network Analysis
- Data driven basic Science
- Policy, Ethics and Open Data
- Scientific Computation Research Center
- Overview of Multiscale Systems Engineering
- Multiscale Systems Engineering for Nanocomposites
- Computational Nanomechanics
- Automated Modeling
- Adaptive Methods for Partial Differential Equations
- Parallel Scientific Computation
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Virtual Nanofabrication
- Composite Materials and Structures
- Computational Biomechanics
San Jose State University
Research Areas (2015 annual report):
- Health Sciences and Wellness
- Field Studies
- Student Research
University of Arkansas at Little Rock’s College of Business
Six research strengths:
- Energy and Environment
- Art, Architecture and Humanities
- Food Safety
- Supply Chain, Retail and Transportation
Arkansas High Performance Computing Center:
- Provider of supercomputing resources for teaching and research by students and faculty. AHPCC supports a broad range of research programs in computational condensed matter physics, computational chemistry, nanotechnology and material science, bioinformatics etc.
Center for Business and Economic Research:
- Student Faculty research center. CBER conducts externally sponsored research for local and state government as well as the state business community.
Information Technology Research Institute (ITRI):
- Aims to advance the state of research and practice in the development and use of information technology for enhancing the performance of individuals and organizations.
- Promotes student interest in IT
- Facilitate exchange of information between academic and business communities.
Small Business and Technology Development Center:
- Provides small business consulting and technical assistance. Links resources oft he federal, state and local governments with resources of the university and the private sector. These resources are used to train small businesses in resolving different problems. Seminars for small businesses are offered.
University of Colorado – Boulder, Leeds School of Business
Contact president’s (Bruce D. Benson) office: OfficeofthePresident@cu.edu
More than 50 research centers, including:
- Business Research Division
- Wholesale Trade
- Economic Development
- Natural and Organic foods industry
- Computer and Communications Security Center
- Alliance for Technology, Learning and Society (ATLAS)
- Research center for faculty and students
- Include following research activities:
· Playful Computation
· Interactive Robotics and Novel Technologies
· Center for Media, Arts and Performance
· BTU Lab
· National Center for Women and Information Technology
University of Maryland – College Park’s Robert H. Smith School of Business
Has an excellent research culture and tradition.
Key Areas of research are:
- The Future of Information
- Language Sciences and Culture
- Quantum Research
- The Science of Safe Food, Drugs, and Medical Devices
- Sustainability and Climate Adaption
- Unmanned Autonomous Systems
University of Massachusetts Boston’s College of Management
Several Research Institutes and Centers, including:
- Center for Innovative Teaching
- Supports inclusive and innovative teaching
- Reflects teaching methods at public universities
- Creates opportunities for faculty members to collaborate to develop inclusive classrooms in which all learners are engaged and learning
- Creates a culture where teaching is valued
- Promotes scholarships of teaching and learning.
- Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC)
- Provides free business advisory services and free workshops for following areas (amongst others):
· Business Growth and Success
· Financing and Loan Assistance
· Strategic, Marketing and Operational Analysis
University of Missouri
- Life Sciences Center
- Cardiovascular Research Center
- Interdisciplinary Research on Aging
- Interdisciplinary Plant Group
- Nano and Molecular Medicine
- MU Research Reactor
- Animal Science Research Center
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Various Research Centers, Including:
- Office of Technology Development
- Facilitates the translation of new discoveries into useful products
- Attracting Industry research Collaboration
- Stimulating local and regional economic development
- Evaluating the innovation for its commercial potential
- Protecting Intellectual Property
- Identifying strong prospects for commercial partnerships
- Negotiates an appropriate licensing agreement
- Office for Undergraduate Research
- Engaging undergraduates in innovative research, mentored scholarship, creative expression and entrepreneurship
- Supports undergraduates, graduates, post-doctorals, and faculty involved in undergraduate research by administering programs that facilitate, fund, and recognize undergraduate research efforts.
University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business
A lot of Health Research Centers, but also:
- Information Sciences Institute
- Research on Advanced Electronics
- Computational Systems and Technology
- Information Systems Research
- Intelligent Systems
- Internet and Network Systems
- Space Systems and Technology
- Institute for Creative Technologies
- ICT is a multidisciplinary research institute focused on exploring and expanding how people engage with computers, through virtual characters, video games, simulated scenarios and other forms of human-computer interaction.
- Aims improvement of human-computer interaction, creates virtual humans and explores where they can be used best.
- Learning Sciences
- Medical Virtual Reality
- Mixed Reality
- Social Simulation
- Virtual Humans
University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business
Several Research Centers, amongst which are:
- Bureau of Business Research
- Its mission is to provide businesspeople and policymakers with applied economic research and data to strengthen the state’s business environment
- Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
- Applied Mathematics Group
- Big Data Analysis
- Computational Mechanics
- Computational Visualization
- Computational Oncology
University of Tennessee – Chattanooga, Chattanooga College for Engineering and Computer Science
Various Research Centers and Institutes, which include:
Joint Institute for Computational Science:
- Computational and applied Mathematics
- Design, Analysis and Implementation of accurate and efficient numerical methods for differential equations arising from physical problems.
- Understanding mechanistic details of chemical conversion that are governed by kinetic barriers.
- Computational Engineering
- Computational Structural Mechanics
- Analysis of the Fluid-thermal system of the human body
- Weak form computational mathematics
- Computational Materials Science
- Computer science, theoretical modeling and experiments to explore plastic deformation and fracture of a variety of advanced structural materials.
- Development of efficient quantum dynamics methods
- Development of structure-property relationships for complex materials.
- Dynamics of complex molecular systems
- Computer Science and Software
- Research on next-generation computing architectures, particularly accelerator technologies such as GPUs, MICs and FPGAs. Interested in architecture, programming, design automation and performance evaluation of computing systems based on accelerators and multicore processors. Examine those emerging platforms by using computational science applications and exploring the most effective architectural approaches for creating highly efficient implementations. They also do research related to energy efficiency and security for advanced computing systems.
Anderson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Attract best students to develop their entrepreneurial skills and help them to create new businesses
- Engage students in real life entrepreneurial settings
- Recruiting experienced mentors to help the students
- Facilitating connection to resources
University of Tennessee – Knoxville
University of Virginia
Computer Science Research:
- Secure and dependable software systems
- Programming languages
- Embedded computing
- Software Engineering
- Wireless sensor networks
- Medical record security
- Fault Analysis
- Software Assurance
- High Performance computing
- Temperature-aware electronics
- Computational biology
- Graphics and grid computing
Medical and Biological research.
Center for Digital Transformation
- Dedicated to the understanding of the role of digital technologies in accomplishing three fundamental transformations required for success in the global marketplace:
· Individual transformation to create effective human capital in a changing global environment
· Business and industry transformation to promote competitiveness, productivity ,innovation and growth in the global marketplace.
· Societal transformation to build a sustainable global society
- Promote Dialogue among technology executives, users and other stakeholders about the transformation aspects of digital technologies
- Advocate the key role of digital technologies as a driver for organizational effectiveness and society’s betterment.
- Enlighten and Educate business and nonprofits about the benefits of socially responsible digital technology.
- Build a bridge across individuals, organizations and society at large and the advocates of digital technology for knowledge transfer and use.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Data Engineering and Science Research Areas:
- Visualization techniques to more easily identify novel patterns in data.
- Digital Signal Processing
- Explores the theoretical and practical aspects of representing information bearing signals in digital form and uses computers or special purpose digital hardware to either extract that information or transform the signals in useful ways, specifically for telecommunications, medical technology etc.
- It allows researchers to simultaneously display and manage numerous data variables.
- Focus on applying applied analytical methods in a variety of application areas and for numerous industries were difficult, large scale problems exist. By using different methods, researchers identify new methods that improve systems so that they operate as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- High Performance Computing
- Research focuses on developing new methods to improve parallel processing for running advanced application programs efficiently reliably and quickly.
University of Michigan
Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery and Engineering
- Research in computational science and engineering including the following areas (amongst others):
- Population and community ecology
- Defence and homeland security
- Electrical and electronic design
- Data Mining
- Social Media Analysis and Visualization
- Computational Linguistics
- Michigan Institute for Data Science
- Data Management
- Data Curation
- Data sharing incentives to statistics
- Machine learning
- Data visualization
They address problems in astronomy, biology, disease model discovery, health policy, material synthesis personalized medicine, social sciences and teaching and learing.
New York University
Center of Data Science:
- Was established to help advance NYU’s goal of creating the country’s leading data science training and research facilities and arming researchers and professionals with tools to harness the power of big data. Center collaborates with diverse other research centers, such as anthropology, biology, business, computer science, economics, education, information systems, law, linguistics, maths, physic, politics, psychology, public health and sociology.
University of Rochester,
Simon Business School
Center for Computation and the Brain:
- Computational Neuroscience
- Use realistic models of neurons to study how biological nervous systems underlie intelligence.
- Behavioral and Cognitive Modeling
- Use computational methods to account for people’s cognitive behaviours.
- Develop new data structures and algorithms to create artificial intelligence.
Center for Emerging and Innovative Sciences
- Aim to develop the economy in New York State and thus bring together the university researchers and companies in order to collaborate and communicate
Areas of Focus:
- Optical components design and manufacturing
- Optical System Design
- Image Capture Circuits, Devices and Materials
- Image Processing
- Image Analysis and Recognition
- Multispectral and Hyperspectral Imaging
- Image Display and Printing
- Geospatial Imaging
- Nanoscale Imaging
- Defense and Security
Center for Integrated Research Computing
- Provides researchers across the university with hardware, software, training and support necessary to utilize computational and data analytics technology in research activities.